Statement on DACA by Queens College, President Félix V. Matos Rodríguez

From President Félix V. Matos Rodríguez:

In November 2016, I was one of more than 600 college and university presidents from public and private institutions across the U.S. who signed a statement sponsored by Pomona College offering to meet with U.S. leaders on the issue of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). We urged business, civic, religious, and nonprofit sectors to join us in supporting both the DACA program and undocumented immigrant students.

Today, I unequivocally reaffirm my support for Queens College and all CUNY students who find themselves at risk of deportation from a country that has benefited greatly from their academic achievements, multiple talents, and hard work. Every day it is my privilege to witness the commitment of young women and men to building successful futures through education. The notion of tearing these students away from what is, in most cases, the only country they have ever known is not only heartbreaking, but family-breaking. They have my assurance that my voice will be among those helping to persuade Congress to uphold support for the DACA community.

Congressional action is the best and most secure way to protect and promote the well-being of our DACA students. In the challenging months ahead, Queens College will continue to provide services to our immigrant students, accessible here. Our support reflects one of the best ideals of a nation built by immigrants: that from many we are one in our pursuit of the American Dream.